Thursday, November 12, 2015

The Art of Toast, the Classical and Romantic Way


Dr Abe V Rotor
Living with Nature School on Blog
Paaralang Bayan.sa Himpapawid (School on Air) with Ms Melly C Tenorio
738 KHz AM 8 to 9 evening class, Monday to Friday

--------------------------------------------
avrotor.blogspot.com Site Overview
avrotor.blogspot.com is ranked number 2,883,314 in the world according to the Alexa Traffic Rank
www.alexa.com/siteinfo
 Pageviews (May 2010 to Nov 2015): 1,016,682
Posts or lessoms:  3, 290
--------------------------------------------------

When was the last time you offered a toast?

Next time, try the classical and romantic way. Cite some famous verses like those from Ben Jonson, Alfred Lord Tennyson, Lord Byron and Omar Khayyam - like these examples.

Drink to me only with thine eyes,
And I will pledge with mine;
Or leave a kiss but in a cup,
And I’ll not look for wine.
The thirst that from the soul doth rise
Doth ask a drink divine;
But might I of Jove’s nectar sup,
I would not change for thine.
- Ben Jonson

Rubaiat, Omar Khayyam

Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.
- Alfred Lord Tennyson
 


Here’s a sigh for those who love me,
And a smile for those who hate;
And whatever sky’s above me,
Here’s a heart for every fate.
- Lord Byron
 

Drink! For you know not when you come, nor why:
Drink! For you know not why you go, nor where.

- Omar Khayyam
 
And here is a most romantic, most intimate toast.
If I were a raindrop, and you a leaf,
I would burst from the cloud above you,
And lie on your breast in a rapture of rest,
And love you - love you - love you!
If I were a brown bee, and you were a rose,
I would fly to you love nor miss you;
I would sip and sip from your nectared lip,
And kiss you - kiss you - kiss you!
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox, author of the Way of the World

 
Acknowledgment: Jacob M Braude, Speaker's Encyclopedia

 popular sayings an toast 

--------------------------------------------------------------

Stag Party Toast 

Here's to Eve - mother of our race;
Who wore a fig leaf in just the right place.
And here's to Adam - daddy of us all;
Who was Johnny-on-the-spot,
When the leaves began to fall.
--------------------------------------------------------

No comments: