Water rationing has started in Metro Manila. Angat Dam which supplies more than 80 percent of Metro Manila is appropriating its supply to last through summer next year. Limited supply is exacerbated by the ongoing El Nino phenomenon. Let us save rainwater, it's a valuable resource which should not go to waste.
Dr Abe V Rotor
Living with Nature School on Blog
Paaralang Bayan sa Himpapawid (People's School-on-Air) with Ms Melly C Tenorio
738 DZRB AM Band, 8 to 9 evening class, Monday to Friday
A bountiful harvest of rainwater cuts down water bill; it is environment-friendly and
a source of enjoyment. At home, Lagro QC.
- Join downspouts together to maximize harvest of rainwater in one place.
- Keep roof, gutter and downspout regularly cleaned and declogged of any debris.
- Avoid using red lead paint, use epoxy paint instead, to avoid lead contaminant.
- Filter rainwater with fine screen or cloth before transferring to container.
- Plastic containers are convenient but they serve only as temporary storage.
- Wide mouth containers may cause accident. They are not designed as bath tubs.
- Use water within five days, otherwise it breeds mosquitoes and other vermin.
- Clean and expose containers under the sun for an hour or two to disinfect.
- Invert and be ready for the next rain to come. Store only clean rainwater.
- Final storage is ideally a garden pond. It is multipurpose: fish culture, water for cleaning, watering and for use in case of fire.
A garden pond adds aesthetic beauty to the place, adds coolness and tranquility, cum a gentle sound of a fountain and running stream.Garden Pond at home in Lagro, QC. Take Nature Home mural painting by the author.
Catfish and pako fish raised in a garden pond.