Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Hobby: Pocket Knife Collection: "A thing of beauty is a boy forever."


 "When I'm feeling sad,
I simply remember my favorite things,
and then I don't feel so bad." 

- My Favorite Things from The Sound of Music
Dr Abe V Rotor
Living with Nature - School on Blog
Paaralang Bayan sa Himpapawid with Miss Grace Velasco
738 DZRB AM, 8 to 9 evening class, Monday to Friday

A boy scout knife with memories full,
ever young the pocket is never
without it, to treasure good old days
the beauty of a boy forever.
Boy Scout knives: Irish camper, US automatic with u-shape cutter, original Swiss knife (early model), US Army knife.

Multipurpose German knife with cork remover and pruning saw


Mountaineering knife with spike-peg and pulley, and safety locking mechanism, blade highly tempered.


Closeup of automatic knife; mechanism flips blade to full use in a split of a second. U-shape blade is for cutting rope or anything within its range.

Pruning knife, local. Blade is curved inward, sharp up to the angled tip, specially designed for plant propagation like grafting, budding, and the like.

Jack knife, Japan, flips instantaneously, used in hunting and hand combat, with automatic locking mechanism

Camper's knife, Ireland, designed for camping as the name implies.

US Army knife, soldier's handy companion, sturdy and durable for the battlefield and everyday use.

Leatherman, US, has many features, locking mechanism allows the use of one blade at a time for convenience and to prevent accident. Quite heavy amd bulky, really a handyman's companion.

Assorted pocket knives for opening letters and other uses.


Barber's razor, Solingen Germany, 19th century; handle-case is made of ivory.

Pipe smoker's knife with slender blade to declog pipe's stem, broad blade to clean the bowl, and blunt end to stump and compress tobacco mix.
------------------
Go over the lyrics of this song, better still, play the tune or sing with your heart's content.  What are your hobbies mentioned in the lyrics?  Having your favorite things around make the world friendlier.  You will feel confident in facing the many problems of living.  You may even have more friend. You may even find more quality time with yourself and others. When was the last time you watch the movie, The Sound of Music?
My Favorite Things Lyrics
From The Sound of Music
Sang by Julie Andrews as Maria

  Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens,
  bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens,

brown paper packages tied up with strings,
these are a few of my favorite things.

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple strudels,
door bells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles.
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings.
these are a few of my favorite things.

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes,
snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes,
silver white winters that melt into springs,
these are a few of my favorite things.

When the dog bites, when the bee stings,
when I'm feeling sad,
I simply remember my favorite things,
and then I don't feel so bad.

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens,
bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens,
brown paper packages tied up with strings,
these are a few of my favorite things.

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple strudels,
door bells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles.
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings.
these are a few of my favorite things.

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes,
snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes,
silver white winters that melt into springs,
these are a few of my favorite things.

When the dog bites, when the bee stings,
when I'm feeling sad,
I simply remember my favorite things,
and then I don't feel so bad.

No comments: