Global warming is the concern of each and everyone of us.
Dr Abe V Rotor
Paaralang Bayan sa Himpapawid with Ms Melly C Tenorio
738 DZRB AM, 8 to 9 pm, Monday to Friday
Depiction of Global Warming, painting in acrylic by AV Rotor
1. Biofuels are healthy to the environment and economy especially in underdeveloped countries.
2. It is wise to store carbon waste such as from CO2 emission and coal waste deep into the earth; anyway fossil fuels have been kept the bowels of the earth for millions of years.
3. Methane has higher impact in global warming than CO2 emission, which means that animal husbandry is a major generator of global heat.
4. Greenwashing is the practice pf making environmental promises favoring hype over substance, a disparaging term usually applied to corporations such as automakers that tout new hybrids but still peddle gas-guzzling SUBS and lobby against increased-mileage requirement.
5. The ozone hole is getting bigger above the equator because of increasing heat while the ozone above the poles remains intact.
6. The hottest in household energy savings is the replacement of conventional incandescent light bulb with Compact Fluorescent Light bulb (CFL)
7. Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs may cost 2 or 3 times more than conventional light bulbs but consume only one-fourth of electricity; besides they last very much longer.
8. Planting trees, scientists tell us, is not a wise measure to curb global warming, because trees absorb the heat of the sun.
9. It is the light of the sun – not its heat – that is used to covert water and CO2 during photosynthesis to produce sugar and O2.
10. The US alone contributes 50 percent of the total annual CO2 output which is 32 billion tons.
11. The ozone hole is getting bigger above the equator because of increasing heat while the ozone above the poles remains intact.
12. China’s economy has been growing steadily at an average rate of 10 percent in the last decade, thanks to its fast growing industrialization.
13. Today’s CO2 in the atmosphere which is 379 ppm in 2005 is higher than anytime in the past 650,000 years.
14. Of the 12 warmest years on record, 11 occurred in the last 20 years, mainly from 1995 to 2004.
15. There is a new law in Japan that at least 20 percent of rooftops of buildings are made green in the like of a high rise garden – similar to what we can aeroponics.
16. Total water on earth as ice and glacier is around 2 percent.
17. Chlorine, methane, ammonia, hydrogen sulfide contribute to acid rain. Acid rain and global warming have no connection to each other.
18. Asia is the last region to clean up its cities – Orientals are not as meticulously clean as Americans and Europeans.
19. It is now accepted unanimously that industrialization is the culprit of global warming.
20. Global warming has something to do with the disturbance of the tectonic plates leading to more frequent and stronger earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruption.
21. The effects of global warming are the concern of governments and big corporations because they have the power and resources to curb its effect. We, ordinary citizens, are but by-standers, but we should be willing to abide by the rules they set.
22. Penguins and white bears are drowning in the Arctic region because of the melting of ice.
23. Converting corn into ethanol requires more energy in the process than the net energy output/ produce.
24. The name Rachel Carson rings every time we talk about pollution, a subject in her book, “Silent Spring”.
25. An Inconvenient Truth is based on Earth in the Balance: Ecology and the Human Spirit , an international bestseller written by Al Gore, former vice president of the US.
Our living planet, once a Paradise, can be restored by no one but each and everyone of us.
Test Global Warming ANSWERS:1F (competition with food and nutrition),1T, 2F, 3T, 4T, 5F, 6T, 7T, 8F, 9T, 10F (one-fourth, 11T, 12T, 13T, 14T, 15T, 16T - 1.90. Of the total freshwater (2 %), glacier and ice make up 78.19 %, 20.58 %groundwater, and 0.82% rivers and lakes, soil 0.41%; 17F, 18F, 19F (There are doubting Thomases.), 20T, 21F (It's a concern of every citizen of the world.), 22F(Penguins are found at the Antarctic), 23T(We have yet to perfect the technology; ethanol from sugarcane is more efficient.), 24T(Pesticides killed the birds that herald spring.), 25T.
24 – 25 outstanding
20 – 23 very good
16 – 19 good
12 – 15 pass
Below 11 - Listen to Paaralang Bayan sa Himpapawid and do more research.