Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Boy and A Frog

Green Pond Frog

Abe V Rotor

Lately, a young boy was caught by surprise when a frog in a pond leaped and landed at his feet. His reflex action nearly ended tragic to the hapless creature. Or to the boy.

As I was by chance a witness to the trivial incident I asked the boy why he was so afraid of a little frog.

“It’s a harmless little fellow,” I said, “maybe he just wanted to play with you. Remember the story of The Princess and Frog Prince?”

He was silent for a while. On gaining his composure he hesitantly asked. “Di ba ang palaka, nakakahawa ng sipon.” (Isn’t the frog the cause of colds?)

I was dumbfounded. Then I remembered the TV advertisement of a frog that clings like phlegm.

Just then a woman came and scolded the boy. "Di ba sabi ko sa iyo, huag kang lalapit sa tubig?" (Didn't I tell you not to go near the water?) And took him to a waiting car.

Poor boy, I muttered.

Then I realized. Poor frog! ~


Living with Nature 3, AVR

No comments: