Sunday, October 22, 2023

The Sound of Trees

 Pul-oy (Breeze)

San Vicente, Ilocos Sur
The Sound of Trees

"I like to take the time out to listen to the trees, much in the same way that I listen to a sea shell, holding my ear against the rough bark of the trunk, hearing the inner singing of the sap. It's a lovely sound, the beating of the heart of the tree." - Author: Madeleine L'Engle"

Photos by Dr Abe V Rotor

Caimito (Chrysophylum cainito); Talisay (Lugo Ilk) Terminalia catappa)
 
I'm a pygmy among giant trees,
     like walls of a fort guarding
against gust, noise, dust and glare,
     whispering and singing.

They greet me as the sun rises,
     bid me before sundown;
to my forebears and my children,
     bestow them the biggest crown. - avr

Macopa or Wax Apple (Syzygium samarangense)

"I hear them laugh with the breeze
and make my life at ease;
I talk to them when lonely and sad,
and hush me when mad." - avr

"Listen to no one's advice except that of the wind in the trees. That can recount the whole history of mankind." - Claude Debussy

"I love the sound of the wind in the trees and the song of the birds and the shuffle in the leaves of my many woodland friends." - Jason Mraz

 
Living stumps of Gmelina arborea
 felled by typhoon Lawin in 2016

Knock, knock, who is there?
a toad, a skink, asleep;
whispers the passing wind,
wake up, it's time to eat. - avr

 

"There was no sound but the murmur of nasty little stinging insects, the occasional crack of a falling branch, and the whispering of the trees discussing religion and the trouble with squirrels." - Author: Terry Pratchett

"With watercolour, you can pick up the atmosphere, the temperature, the sound of snow shifting through the trees or over the ice of a small pond or against a windowpane. Watercolour perfectly expresses the free side of my nature." - Author: Andrew Wyeth

"Listen ... With faint dry sound, Like steps of passing ghosts, The leaves, frost-crisp'd, break free from the trees And fall." - Author: Adelaide Crapsey

Towering heritage anahaw (Livistona rotundifolia)  

"Living towers you thrill us all,
sentinel, belfry, flagpole." - avr    

Trees do not preach learning and precepts. They preach, undeterred by particulars, the ancient law of life." ― Herman Hesse

No comments: