Thursday, March 3, 2022

Aran and the Crab. New trend in storytelling, combining tale, philosophy, and modern art.

 Aran and the Crab (An Isneg Tale)

Mark Joseph T Calano

"New trend in storytelling, combining tale, philosophy, and modern art." - avr

Fateful End of Aran and the Crab in acrylic by Dr. Abe V Rotor 2022.  
Painting on display at the Living with Nature Center, San Vicente, Ilocos Sur

In bygone days The Aran spirit and the crab met on the bank of a brook.

Aran: Where are you going?
Crab: I am going to look for food.

Aran: I brought some food.  Let us eat my provisions, 
          if you do not have food.
Crab: But there are no viands.

Aran: Let our viands be one of your fingers.
Crab: No, as I should have nothing to walk with.

Aran: I shall carry you.
Crab: Take it then.

Aran: Give me another of your fingers.
Crab: No, as I should have nothing to walk with. 

Aran: I shall carry you.
Crab: Take it then.

Aran: Give another one.
Crab: No, as I should have nothing to walk with.

Aran: I shall carry you.
Crab: Take it then.

Aran: I am not satisfield; give all your fingers.
Crab: Won't I have  nohing to walk with.

Aran: I shall carry you.
Crab: Take them all.

Aran took all the fingers.
Crab: What will I do now.

Aran ate the whole body of the crab.

Questions:

1. How do you describe the relationship of Aran and the crab?  Relate it with the "Big Brother Syndrome" described in George Orwell's novel (entitled 1984.)

2. Note the nuanced dialogue of the two characters as thr story's plot builds up.  Is this an effective  way of narrating a story?
--------------------

*Dr Mark Joseph T Calano retold the cryptic Isneg tale of "Aran and the Crab," Originally transcribed by Maurice Vanoverbergh.  It won first prize in a UNESCO contest.  The author is currently a philosophy professor at the Ateneo de Manila University.  The article was submitted through Fr, Joemari V Manzano for publication in Philippine Literature Today written by Dr Abercio V Rotor and Dr Kristine Molina-Doria and published as textbook in Philippine Literature under the new curriculum by C&E Publishing, Inc 2015. 

No comments: