Dr Abe V Rotor
Living with Nature - School on Blog
Paaralang Bayan sa Himpapawid (People's School-on-Air) with Ms Melly C Tenorio
738 DZRB AM, 8-9 evening class Monday to Friday
Part 1 True or False
1. The study of insects is Entomology. Which includes Arachnids.
2. All insects have three pairs of legs and two pair of wings.
3. Magkamag-anak ang insekto, sugpo at alimango, ganon din ang gagamba. They all belong to one phylum.
4. If you find harmful insects around, the best thing to do is spray agad parang masugpo - before they get out of control.
5. You can prepare a simple solution to keep off insects in your garden: crushed garlic, little soap and kerosene and one pail of water – just water on the plants with a sprinkler.
6. IPM means Integrated Pest Management – universally the standard in pest control.
7. The first to adopt in IPM ay ang wastong pagbubukid, sanitation, cleanliness.
8. Ang ikalawang bahagi ng IPM is the protection and encouragement of the natural enemies of harmful insects,like spider and preying mantis.
9. Ang mga sumusunod ay tinatawag social insects: termites, ants, wasps, locusts and bees.
10. Colonies of aphids, scale insects, mites are pseudo-social in nature.
11. Lahat na grasshopper, if starved and threatened will form the congregans and migratory stage, the explanation to swarming.
12. Social insects are strictly matriarchal that is, the queen is the head of the colony.
13. Preying mantis mating is characterized by the killing and feeding of the male by the female to insure fertilization – and the continuation of the species.
14. Among the exotic insects for gourmet is the mole cricket, Grylotalpha africana or camaro.
15. The best jumper in the insect world is the grasshopper – that is why it is called hopper.
16. The Chinese are fond of taking care of field crickets a pet , they serve as watchdog especially at night.
17. There are insects that live for 17 years, other 20 years – or even more.
18. The shortest living insect is the Mayfly – lacewing, called Ephemerid (Family Ephemerida).
19. The total wight of ants in the world outweighs that of the total weight of human beings.
20. Chemical control is the last resort in pest control – always.
21. Advertisements of spraying insects are exposing users to extreme danger.
22. Rachel Carson, author of Silent Spring, criticized pesticide manufacturers for the annihilation of birds that feed on insects of sprayed crops.
23. In swarming, different colonies on the same species are timed simultaneously to encourage cross breeding.
24. The queen of honeybees mates only once in her lifetime.
25. The firefly carries a lamp – bioluminescence that is almost all light, and very little is heat. It is the most efficient light, and the only light of its kind.
26. "Virgin birth" is exhibited by certain insects. This phenomenon is called
27. The old classification of Order Orthoptera has be revised,separating cockroach, walking stick, and preying mantis into their respective Orders. Grasshopperss are retained under Orthoptera.
28. The antennae of insects are used to taste, to smell, as radar, and sensor of temperature humidity.
29. The exoskeleton of insects is made of chitin, lighter and more durable than plastic.
30. Insects came about after the demise of the dinosaurs. Being small they survived the harsh conditions that killed big organisms.
Part 2 Write at the back page)
A. Draw from your stock of knowledge a grasshopper and label its parts. Pls don't copy.
B. Give the scenarios. Suppose man succeeds in eliminating insects completely from the earth.
C. Give a comprehensive description about the photograph above.
D. What is the most mysterious aspect (one only) you know about insects, or a particular insect. Explain.
E. If genetic engineering is applied on insects, what would it be? ~