- Dr Abe V Rotor
Living with Nature School on Blog
Paaralang Bayan sa Himpapawid with Ms Melly C Tenorio
738 DZRB AM Band, 8 to 9 evening class, Monday to Friday
A cozy farm house, Floridablanca, Pampanga
Garden nipa kiosk; Coeds pose before a typical Filipino home (IRRI Museum, UPLB Laguna)
Bahay Kubo (My Nipa Hut) is one of the most loved traditional songs. All kids in my generation learned it by heart in the elementary. Not so many kids today are familiar with it. It is good to rediscover the beauty and lesson of the song.
Bahay kubo, hahit munti, ang halaman doon ay sari-sari. Singkamas at talong, sigidillas at mani, sitao, batao, patani. Kondol, patola, upo, kalabasa, at sa ka mayroon pa, labanos, mustasa. Sibuyas, kamatis, bawang at luya, at ang paligidligid ay linga.
These are main features of the song.
· There are eighteen (18) plants, which are indigenous, mostly native varieties. (biodiversity)
· Many of the plants have medicinal values and are effective home remedies for common ailments (luya, sibuyas, bawang).
· The four kinds of vegetables are represented: leafy (mustasa), fruit (kamatis, talong, kalabasa), root (labanos, singkamas), seed (linga, patani, mani).
· Spices and condiments are included in the list (linga, luya, bawang)
The plants have different planting and harvesting schedules, thus enhancing whole year round supply of vegetables, and the use of resources and family labor.
The plants have different growing types or habits which means they occupy specific places and have space allocations. (viny, herb, bush).
· Nutrition-wise they provide the basic requirements for growing up and good health.
· The ambiance projected by the scene is green, tranquil, clean, shady and cool (environment-friendly).
· The garden exudes a feeling of self-sufficiency and offers a potential for livelihood.
· Simplicity is the key to a contented life (with least energy consumption, and amenities).
· Such a scene expands the imagination to include a backyard fishpond, chicken coop, orchard trees and ornamental plants, among others – all of these contribute to the enrichment of the Bahay Kubo, without modifying its basic concept and structure.