Dr Abe V Rotor
Living with Nature - School on Blog
Paaralang Bayan sa Himpapawid with Ms Melly C Tenorio
738 DZRB AM, 8 to 9 evening class, Monday to Friday
Virtually there is no escape from our high tech world.
Imagine life if there were no cell phones, cable TV, video games, malls, hospitals, e-mails, solar watches, MRT/LRT, ATM, and the like. And if we think about today's processes in making the many products we use everyday - from ballpoint pens to cars - imagine computers and robots at work in place of man.
Scenario: a quart clock awakens you. You switch on the light, tune in the TV or radio, take a bath, pick up the phone, cook breakfast, read the morning paper, dress up, take the elevator, drive the car, etc., etc., etc. All this is not surprising to those of us who live in urban centers.
Death lurks in the byproducts of "The Good Life"
But hear this. The milk you drink is genetically modified (human embryo hormone was injected into the cow to produce more milk),; the corn flakes you eat comes from Bt corn (corn with a gene of a bacterium - Bacillus thuringiensis); your potato and onion are irradiated for longer shelf life; your lettuce carries a trace of dioxin (the deadliest toxin ever synthesized), your tuna carries a residue of mercury; the microwave emits rays that are not good to health; the paint in your condominium contains lead; plastic deteriorates and you may not know you are absorbing the byproducts; synthetic fabric is the cause of your allergy; there is nitrate (salitre) in corned beef and in tocino; MSG (Mono Sodium Glutamate) in noodles, aspartame in softdrinks, sulfite in sugar; Potassium Bromate in bread. And the list goes on, ad infinitum.
In the latest issue of Time magazine, March 3, 2014, a new research links common chemicals and brain disorders in kids. This is how everyday toxins may affect our kids.
1. Manganese - Found in drinking water, is linked with lower math scores, hyperactivity, impaired motor skills and some drops in intellectual function.
2. Carbonates - Found in pesticides used to kill cockroaches, flies and mosquitoes, and lawn bugs, are linked to defects in brain development.
3. Tetrachloro-ethylene - Found in dry cleaning solvents, is linked to problems in brain development and a higher rate of psychiatric diagnoses.
4. Polybrominated biphenyl ethers - Found in furniture and toys as a flame retardant is linked with disorders in brain development among kids with higher in utero exposure. (In utero is a Latin term literally meaning "in the womb". In biology, the phrase describes the state of an embryo or fetus.)
The deleterious by-products of today's science and technology exacerbate the problems of mankind. Paradoxically, science and technology have not successfully eradicated the ancient scourge of mankind - disease, poverty, and ignorance.
While man may have a grasp of history and his society, he has apparently lost control of his destiny.
Globalization also takes away our original identities as individual and as a people. It homogenizes diversity into a common pool, including our independence in belief, thinking and conviction - and the quaintness of alternative ways of living.
At this point we would like you to switch your thoughts and focus your attention on the following areas:
- Environmental preservation/conservation
- Saving the endangered species
- Reducing wastage, recycling
- Natural medicine, organically grown food
- Pollution-free cars
- Ecology tourism (eco-tourism)
- Model cities like Curitiba, Brazil Curitiba Botanic Garden
- Ban nuclear weapons
- Free Willy movie, Fly Away Home, etc
- Clean Air Act, stop CFC emission
- Zoning, proper land use
- Ban cloning, genetically modified organisms (GMO) and their products.
This is an open-ended list, and we ask you to continue it and share this lesson with your family and community in a lively and positive discussion.~