Abe V Rotor
In observance of the 70th anniversary of Japanese invasion in the Philippines, and declaration of war between US-China versus Japan, marking the start of the World War II in the Asian region. December 8, 1941. December 8 is also the feastday of the Immaculate Conception.
• 1941 – United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt declares December 7 to be "a date which will live in infamy", after which the U.S. and the Republic of China declare war against Japan.
• 1941 – Japanese forces simultaneously invade Malaya, Thailand, Hong Kong and the Philippines. These happen concurrently with the Attack on Pearl Harbor, which was on December 7 in the United States.
. 1941 - U.S. and Britain declare war on Japan, U.S. enters WW II
. 1941 - London: Dutch government declares Japan the war
• 1854 – In his Apostolic constitution Ineffabilis Deus, Pope Pius IX proclaims the dogmatic definition of Immaculate Conception, which holds that the Virgin Mary was born free of original sin.
. 1869 - 20th Roman Catholic ecumenical council, Vatican I, opens in Rome
• 1923 - German - U.S friendship treaty signed
. 1949 - Chinese Nationalist government moves from Chinese mainland to Formosa
• 1949 – United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East is established to provide aid to Palestinian refugees who left their homes during the 1948 Palestinian exodus.
• 1953 – United States President Dwight D. Eisenhower delivers his "Atoms for Peace" speech, and the U.S. launches its "Atoms for Peace" program that supplied equipment and information to schools, hospitals, and research institutions around the world.
. 1966 - U.S. and U.S.S.R. sign treaty to prohibit nuclear weapons in outer space
• 1963 – Pan Am Flight 214, a Boeing 707, is struck by positive lightning and crashes near Elkton, Maryland, United States, killing all 81 people on board.
• 1966 – The Greek ship SS Heraklion sinks in a storm in the Aegean Sea, killing over 200.
. 1969 - Greek DC-6B crashes in storm at Athens, 93 killed
. 1972 - United Airlines crashes at Chicago's Midway Airport killing 45
. 1974 - Soyuz 16 returns to Earth
. 1976 - U.S. performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site
. 1981 - France performs nuclear test
• 1991 – The leaders of Russia, Belarus and Ukraine sign an agreement dissolving the Soviet Union (USSR) and establishing the Commonwealth of Independent States.
. 1994 - Fire in cinema in Karamay China, 310 killed
. 2004 – The Cuzco Declaration is signed in Cuzco, Peru, establishing the South American Community of Nations.
. 2011 - Planned transfer of former president Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo from St Luke's Hospital to Veterans Memorial Hospital. GMA is facing charges on electoral sabotage which is non-bailable. Transfer took place the day after.
Prayer to the Blessed Mother
Oh, mother immaculate, mother of mercy,
look at us as one humanity,
and bestow the grace of hope and capacity
to rise above sin and agony;
so that we shall attain courage to stand free
and face the world in humility;
make each of us your instrument of unity
in likeness of the Holy Family,
make us the builders of a State of Sanctity
where reign love, peace and harmony. ~