Dr Abe V. Rotor
Paaralang Bayan sa Himpapawidand with Ms. Melly Tenorio
DZRB 738 AM Monday to Friday, 8 to 9 Evening Class
1. The rains we are experiencing this early are thunderstorms.
2. Three things to do in preparation for the monsoon season: repair house, prepare garden, and participate in community work such as tree planting and cleaning waterways and drainage.
3. The best time and most economical, with least care and attention to plant vegetables in the backyard and idle lots is during monsoon period.
4. Actually you can propagate the following by cuttings: Malunggay, katuray, ipilipil, madre de cacao.
5. During the monsoon season the most important crop is corn.
6. During the monsoon period the ITCZ is usually up north of the Philippines; whereas during the amihan, the ITCZ moves southwards to Mindanao or lower.
7. It is customary to walk, play, sing, in the first heavy rain of May, but you have to wet the navel first before attempting to do so - that is, according to old folks.
8. Mushrooms immediately sprout after the first rain of May.
9. Rain makes the swimming pool green because of acid rain.
10. Gamu-gamu swarming anticipates the coming of the monsoon.
11. Insects that usually swarm at night are winged termites, winged ants, and honeybees.
12. The worker and soldier termites suddenly become sexually mature, grow two pairs of wings, and out they come from their anthill from twilight and deep into the night.
13. Swarming of gamu-gamu is a sexual instinct called nuptial flight wherein males and females from the same colony mate and establish new colonies.
14. Swarming of locust is ecological – that is, they coalesce into congregans, and the congregans further coalesce into the migratory phase.
15. The path of the monsoon winds is over the south western Pacific picking up moisture that builds into clouds and subsequently rain.
16. June beetles may come out pf their subterranean hiding as early as April.
17. It is the male cicada (kuliglig) that sings, attracting the female into its lair.
18. Cicada usually lives for a year in the soil, but there are species that live for two, three, 5, to as long as 17 years, hence the latter is called 17-year old locust.
19. Among the recommended plants to plant now are ubi, malunggay, singkamas, gabi.
20. In summer you can raise vegetables using solely faucet water.
21. Frogs, snails, hito and the like hibernate during summer.
22. Then they come out of their hiding – cracks of the earth, carabao wallow, river basin, as the rains come, populating the flooded fields in a short time.
23. Weathering is a geological process leading to soil formation.
24. Bare watershed absorbs rain greedily because it is thirsty so to speak, so why worry of not replanting it?
25. Ubi tuber can grow up to one ton in weight from a single plant.
Note: Answers to be posted in a week's time.