Dr Abe V Rotor
Living with Nature School on Blog
738 DZRB AM Paaralang Bayan sa Himpapawid with Ms Melly C Tenorio
8 to 9 Evening Class, Monday to Friday
1. Biofuels are healthy to the environment and economy especially in underdeveloped countries.
Global warming sign
2. It is wise to store carbon waste such as from CO2 emission and coal waste deep into the earth; anyway fossil fuels have been kept the bowels of the earth for millions of years,
3. Methane has higher impact in global warming than CO2 emission, which means that animal husbandry is a major generator of global heat.
4. Greenwashing is the practice pf making environmental promises favoring hype over substance, a disparaging term usually applied to corporations such as automakers that tout new hybrids but still peddle gas-guzzling SUBS and lobby against increased-mileage requirement.
5. The ozone hole is getting bigger above the equator because of increasing heat while the ozone above the poles remains intact.
6. The hottest in household energy savings is the replacement of conventional incandescent light bulb with Compact Fluorescent Light bulb (CFL)
7. Compact Fluorescent Lightbulb may cost 2 or 3 times more than conventional light bulbs but consumes only one-fourth of electricity; besides they last very much longer.
8. Planting trees, scientists tell us, is not a wise measure to curb global warming, because trees absorb the heat of the sun.
9. It is the light of the sun – not its heat – that is used to covert water and CO2 during photosynthesis to produce sugar and O2..
contributes 50 percent of the total annual CO2 output which is 32 billion
11. Lead (Pb) poisoning can be obtained unknowingly from paints, prints, dyes, because lead is an excellent fixer. T
has been growing steadily at an average rate of 10 percent in the last decade,
thanks to its fast growing industrialization.
13. Today’s CO2 in the atmosphere which is 379 ppm in 2005 is higher than anytime in the past 650,000 years. T
14. Of the 12 warmest years on record, 11 occurred in the last 20 years, mainly from 1995 to 2004. T
15. There is a new law in Japan that at least 40 percent of rooftops of building are green in the like of a high rise garden – similar to what we can aeroponics.
16. Total water on earth as ice and glacier is around 2 percent.
17. Chlorine, methane, ammonia, hydrogen sulfide contribute to acid rain. Acid rain and global warming have no connection to each other.
Asia is the last region to clean up its cities –
Orientals are not as meticulously clean as Americans and Europeans. F
19. It is now accepted unanimously that industrialization is the culprit of global warming.
20. Global warming has something to do with the disturbance of the tectonic plates leading to more frequent and stronger earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruption.
21. The effects of global warming are the concern of governments and big corporations because they have the power and resources to curb its effect. We, ordinary citizens, are but by-standers, but we should be willing to abide by the rules they set.
22. Penguins and white bears are drowning in the Arctic region because of the melting of ice.
23. Converting corn into ethanol requires more energy in the process than the net energy output/ produce.
24. The name Rachel Carson rings every time we talk about pollution, a subject in her book, “Silent Spring”,
25. Inconvenient Truth is based on Earth in the Balance: Ecology and the Human Spirit is an international bestseller written by Al Gore, former vice president of the
Answers: 1F (competition with food and nutrition.), 2F, 3T, 4T. 5F, 6T, 7T, 8F, 9T, 10F (one-fourth), 11T, 12T, 13T 14T 15T, 16T (1.90. Of the total freshwater (2 %), glacier and ice make up 78.19 %, 20.58 % groundwater, and 0.82% rivers and lakes, soil 0.41%.),17F, 18F, 19 F (There are doubting Thomases.) 20T, 21F, 22F (Penguins are at the Antarctic), 23 T (We have yet to perfect the technology; ethanol from sugarcane is more efficient.), 24T, 25T
Orchid doesn't normally grow on pine tree - an indicator that the earth atmosphere is getting warmer.
24 – 25 outstanding
20 – 23 very good
16 – 19 good
12 – 15 pass
Below 11 listen more and to research