Saturday, October 28, 2017

What is the philosophy that guides your life?

What is the philosophy that guides your life?

Dr Abe V Rotor


Seven people chosen at random were asked, "What is the  philosophy that guides your life?" Here are their answers. *
  1. I just try to do my best.
  2. Slow down and enjoy the little things.
  3. Don't get in a rut.
  4. Take time to do what you would like to do.
  5. Relax and look at life in perspective.
  6. Take things a day at a time.
  7. See that your life has variety. 
Greek philosopher, student of Plato who wrote Nicomachean Ethics 
as a guide to the citizens of Greece on how to lead the good life.

When I read this article, I told myself to slow down and take time to reflect. What really is the philosophy of my life that makes it meaningful and fulfilled? 

I imagined myself as one - any one of the respondents, at one time or another. Actually I couldn't help compare the two aspects of life, the serious and the lighter side. I have not really given much attention to the latter. I have not settled down even after I retired from employment. I often remind myself that there is limit in everything. This is perhaps the greatest fault of people who are used to working hard. 

The survey means much more that slowing down. It is self examination. Consider  each item or response as a measure of The Good Life in practical and simple terms, and universal in application. 

Rate yourself under each item using the Likert Scale (1 very poor, 2 poor, 3 average, 4 good, 5 very good). Compute for the total score and the average. There is no passing or failing score.  In fact each item must be treated independently, so that you can see your strength you should be happy about, and inadequacies which you can correct and improve. 

Thanks to Better to Light One Candle (The Christophers Three Minute a Day) p 243 

No comments: