International Literacy Day — Sept. 8, 2026
“Literacy for people, the planet and prosperity”
"At least 739 million youth and adults lack basic literacy skills, and 4 in 10 children lack minimum reading proficiency."- UNESCO
Dr Abe V Rotor
Part 1 - Begging for a Seat in School
- Neutral Morality in Disguise
Painted byy Nikolay Petrovich Bogdalov-Belsky (1868–1945).
"He who feels for the needy
with but some coins is a fool,
in a world deaf to a poor boy
begging for a seat in school." - avr
It pains me so much - personally and as a part of humanity -to see a boy beggar in rags, or incognito walking with us,or abandoned in some dingy corner, when the world proudlyproclaims, "never in history has Homo sapiens, the thinking,reasoning man, reached the pinnacle of progress way, wayabove the banner of enlightenment."Wrong. I still feel guilty seeing the likes of this young beggar.millions of them around the world - in rich and poor countries,industrialized and agricultural, for this is not a matter of mercy,not even compassion - or neutral morality. Words come easy,mother statements as universal truth, prayers are empty still.~
A foreign student from the Middle East at the UST Graduate School c. 1996 gave me this almost worn out reproduction of a painting
meticulously wrapped in plastic as a souvenir and as an expression of gratitude to me as his professor in natural science. "I carried this with me," he said, "as a source of challenge with the hope that I will succeed in my studies - and to be of help later to children like this boy. Now I am going back to my country."
meticulously wrapped in plastic as a souvenir and as an expression of gratitude to me as his professor in natural science. "I carried this with me," he said, "as a source of challenge with the hope that I will succeed in my studies - and to be of help later to children like this boy. Now I am going back to my country." I was speechless. I examined the painting. There is no name - title and artist, or any note for that matter. A good follower of this blog mentioned the painter artist in passing - for which I am grateful to him. The painter, based on his style and subject apparently belonged to the post classicism era at the dawn of realism, when art began to transcend to the people, which we know today as people's art. I found out later that it is the masterpiece of the famous Russian painter, Nikolay Petrovich Bogdalov-Belsky (1868–1945).
A disturbing scene to Maslow -could he have been wrong?What is self-actualizationto the striving throng?What's good is the Bastille trilogy -pillars of modern society:equality, fraternity,liberty - sans dignity?Motherhood words may come easy;they cannot be mistaken,for the lips that speak of promiseare easily forgotten.And the world goes on as it seems;a beggar boy, its conscience:lost youth, lost hope, lost futurein the midst of affluence.The door is jarred to full viewand knocking wouldn't lend an ear;indifference makes man blindor takes him to the rear.He who feels for the needywith but some coins is a fool,in a world deaf to a poor boybegging for a seat in school. ~
"Please sir, I want some more" - from Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In celebration of UNESCO's 60th anniversary in promoting literacy as a fundamental human right. UNESCO reports at least 739 million youth and adults lack basic literacy skills, and 4 in 10 children lack minimum reading proficiency.
4 Types of Learning
UNESCO report (Scott, 2015), being competent in a field requires education focusing on four types of learning, namely:
a) “learning to know”, which focuses on sound and integrated content knowledge;b) “learning to do”, which focuses on active learning’ skills, such as critical thinking and problem solving;c) “learning to be”, which focuses on personal qualities that shape learners’ identities; andd) “learning to live together”, which focuses on social qualities of learning.
These four types of learning needs were built upon the assumption that they refer to three main types of knowledge that any competent professional in a certain field enacts, which are:
“know what”, meaning knowing the subject matter;“know how”, meaning knowing how to solve particular problems in the field;
and “know to be”, meaning how to behave and think in certain contexts
or situations.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Part 2 - Functional Literacy in the Cyber Age
Today, to have a credit card or an ATM card is no easy task; much more if you have both. One must acquire mastery in their uses, and basic knowledge in accounting. But these are only tools used in countless transactions that include electronic marketing, now a booming industry. It is “armchair marketing” whereby all we need is watch the merchandise on TV and dial the number for your order. And now, AI (Artificial Intelligence) has come into our lives, together with Robotics, elevating literacy ordinary people can barely reach to a competent level.
• If there is e-marketing, there is also e-learning, that is on-line or distance education using the computer and other media. Here is a chance of increasing the level of literacy for those who failed to complete basic education, and those who aspire to learn more or even earn a degree. But first, one should have basic communication skills before he is admitted into the program.
• Medicines are no longer as simple as they were a generation ago, even if we have a law to label them generically, that is, to include the active principle in universal language. Prescriptions alone are difficult to follow, much more in understanding the mode of action and effects of the medicine. Paracetamol or Alaxan, is there a difference? I know of Cortal during my time. These are over-the-counter pain relievers, like Ponstan or simply Aspirin.
• Appliances for the home and office are no longer as simple as switching on and switching off. How do we set the controls for temperature, timing, carbon dioxide level, fire alarm, light intensity? How about operating a camera monitor, microwave oven, automatic dish-washing machine? And we have not yet mentioned attending to their regular maintenance.
• A chauffeur or driver, one hired by a family or an executive is required to know basic mechanics as a requirement in proper car maintenance. For his part too, he must learn the cardinal rules of human relations - courteous, respectful, diplomatic in many ways, yet on the other hand, secures the family or his boss from danger, a security guard, and an intelligence agent of sort.
• I have a friend who, like me, belong to the so-called “old school." This is his confession. “I will e-mail you,” his insurance agent said, “as soon as I get to office.” My friend didn’t understand a thing about e-mail, he is computer illiterate. “May I get you e-mail address?” continued his agent. Still my friend said nothing. “Well, if you don’t remember it now, just text me. Okay?” “How stupid I felt,” my friend confessed to the point of embarrassment. “I guess you need to enroll in a crash program.” I said. He did.
• Opening a Blog on the Internet, is not that easy. But my daughter who was then taking up graduate studies in Information Technology, assured me. “You can do it, Papa.”
I almost gave up. Rather Anna nearly gave up hope teaching a sixty-sixer. Today my Blog is without any added item or two a day. Lately, I realized I haven’t tapped the newer features of the computer. For example, it says, “You can make money in your Blog.” I didn’t know I can compose music and play it on the Blog.” How about if I sing?"
My Blog says, “Certainly.” The next time I knew it, I already had a host of followers. Today I have more than five thousand posts or lessons on my School on Blog.. I requested Anna to unclog my blog.”
“Papa, you are already known worldwide!” ~
Home, Sweet Home with Nature, AVR (Book Manuscript)





No comments:
Post a Comment