Wednesday, September 16, 2015
Verses in Ilokano: Berso ni Bersio
"Dumanon langit ti maikatlo nga takyag
ni Apo Baket."
A helping hand to an elderly reaches heaven.
Dr Abercio (Bersio) V Rotor
Columnist, Okeyka Apong: Dagiti Tawid a Sirib ken Adal (Heritage of Wisdom and Lessons), Bannawag Magazine (weekly magazine in Ilocano, published by Manila Bulletin)
Living with Nature - School on Blog
Paaralang Bayan sa Himpapawid (People's School-on-Air) with Ms Melly C Tenorio
738 DZRB AM, [www.pbs.gov.ph] 8-9 evening class Monday to Friday
1. Nangisngisit nasamsam-it -
The darker it is, the sweeter. Duhat
2. Bislat: pagbaut, pagsurat
Cane is for whipping, writing, and walking
3. Adda mata dagiti kaykayo,
The trees have eyes at night.
4. Agkakabsat, aggugubat.
Brothers fighting each other in war,
what a tragedy!
5. Sabong nagukrad, alimbubuyog,
An open flower attract a bee. (photo)
6. Alipupus dua, maysa’t muging,
He who has two hair pools with one
on the forehead is stubborn
7. Perlas ken lua pangar-arigan
Pearls and tears are symbols of friendship.
8. Pan-nangan’ awan agsaramsam,
Don't eat between meals.
9. Dumanon langit maikatlo nga takyag
Ni Apo Baket.
A helping hand to an elderly reaches heaven,
10. Agar-arasaas diay dadapilan,
Bubud diay burnay.
The sugarcane crusher whispers,
so with the brew (must) in the earthen jar.
11. Agparparintomeng, awan maka-asideg.
This kneeling creature dares anyone to get near. (preying mantis) - photo
12. Agbilangka't sangagasot ken maysa
Count one-hundred-and-one if you are in doubt.
13. Itudom amin ida, no awan basolmo
Point the blame at all others, if you are sinless
and pure. It is analogous to "He who has no sin casts the first stone." (Statement of Christ before
a mob about to stone a sinner to death.)
14. Gura ken ayat, bumtak wenno umpes,
Hate and love, like cloud, breaks and disappears.
15. Umisemkan tapno maturogen
Smile so that the moon goes to sleep.