Abe V RotorModern wind turbines (windmills), Bangui, Ilocos Norte
Potential Small Water Impounding Project (SWIP) to produce hydroelectric needs of a community .
Potential energy from garbage dump by incineration and composting, Payatas, QC
Here is a short list of renewable energy sources in response to queries on how to cope up with the crisis of dwindling supply and soaring price of fossil fuel.
1. Wind power farm, re-inventing the Dutch windmill (Remember the novel, Don Quijote, Man from La Mancha by Miguel de Cervantes?), farm type wind mills to generate electricity and pump ground water. Wind turbine generators (WTGs)- In Bangui, Ilocos Norte, there are 20 modern WTGs.
2. Ethanol from sugarcane, sugar beets and root crops (cassava) – There is a debate on the wisdom of converting food into fuel, focusing on the scarcity of human food in developing countries. There is also displacement of the other uses of these crops in industry.
3. Biogas: home type (China and India models), farm model (Madamba Maya Farms), community (energy from garbage), commercial types, mainly methane.
4. Composting – production of organic fertilizer, soil conditioners.
5. Solar energy: reflected light (mirror concentrator), desalination, direct drying, solar panels, solar battery/cell, Ex. Telephones tap power of sun, solar car (Sunraycer GM crossed Australia on a desert route at ave 24 miles per hour
6. Fire in the Earth: geothermal energy; hot rocks. Water is pump to a depth up to two miles (Britain), circulates in crack, becomes hot up to 200 centigrade and comes through a borehole which then turns a turbine. Anglo-French link Old Red Sandstone 76 centigrade hot enough to heat buildings. Trapping volcanic heat. Hot water in island, Los Baños.
7. New sails for sea vessels (Back to the time of sailing ships.
8. Surging energy of the sea: waves, tides, heat content, salty water itself, ocean currents.
(gully wave generator, wave power, OTEC Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion, CLAM – British wave pressure system, Japanese osmosis system at estuaries. .
9. Biodegradable plastics for biogas and compost production
10. Firewood as product of farming firewood crops such as kakawate, aroma (kandaroma Ilk), ipil-ipil.
Overall conclusion and recommendation: Less is More