Saturday, June 13, 2009
Part 1: Test on Myths, Legends, Tales (With answers, Teacher's Guide)
Dr Abe V Rotor
A. Identify the following important characters in Mythology.
1. Greek God with two faces.
2. Equivalence of Adam and Eve sa mga Pilipino.
3. Of all Philippine epics, which one is the most popular.
4. King Zeus ang chief god ng Greek mythology, sino naman sa atin?
5. Sa lahat na legend sa Pilipinas, ano ang pinakapopular – lalong lalo sa katagalogan?
6. Ang pangalan ng Visayan supreme deity na nakatira sa Mt Kanlaon.
7. Ang isang nobela ni Robert Louis Stevenson tungkol sa isang tanyag na doctor, ngunit doctor sa araw at halimaw sa gabi.
8. Heracles sa mga Roman, ngunit _________________ originally sa mga Greeks.
9. Half-man, half-horse – Centaur sa Greek mythology, ___________ sa atin.
10. Ang Golden Fleece ay balat ng anong hayop?
11. The Aztecs – ancestors of the Mexican – offered human sacrifice by the hundreds to their God which is the __________.
12. The early Egyptians believe in the afterlife of their rulers. What do they do to the body of their ruler to prepare him for the afterlife?
13. Pinakacompletong burial chamber na nadiscover – intact lahat at nasa Egyptian Museum nagyon ang bankay at lahat na isinama sa kanyang libing. Who is this pharaoh?
14. Ang simbolo ng haloween sa America, isang claseng prutas na malaki at nilalagyan nila ng kandila sa loob. Anong halaman ito?
15. Ang pangalan ng isang maunlad na siyudad during the in pre-classical Greece na biglang nawala sa mapa at walang survivor to tell the tale.
16. Ang tahanan ng mga dios and diosa sa Greece.
17. He played the flute and all the rats in the city followed him to the sea and drown. When the mayor reused to pay him, he played again, this time another tune. Sumama lahat ang mga bata sa kanya papuntang bundok. And the mountain closed and swallowed up all the children - except a lame boy who told the whole story.
18. Isang legendary hero, did not submit himself to a foreign dictator, was forced to shot an apple on top of the head of his son – and succeeded. At the end he killed the dictator and freed his country - Switzerland.
19. Poet, novelist, professor sa America wrote the Tale of Acadie. Who is the principal character, whose name is more popular than the title of the book?
20. He saved his country by plugging his arm into a hole on the dike to prevent water from flooding. He was found dead the following morning, but he saved ______. (Anong country?)
21. Legend tungkol sa magaling sa pana, kaibigan ng mga mahihirap, inaapi. He robbed the rich to help the poor, siya ay isang legendary hero of England.
22. Nakatulog siya ng matagal, at lumipas ang mga mahahalagang pangyayari katulad ng War for America’s independence. Paggising niya, he did know anyone in his native village - including himself.
23. Stories about old Arabia. Sinong sumulat ng mga istoyang "1001 Nights"?
24. There is this cave which robbers hid their loot. What will one say, so that the door will open, and then he gets the treasure of gold and jewelry?
25. Nobela tungkol sa isang piloto na nag-crash ang kanyang aeroplano sa Sahara Desert. There he met a little prince.
Bonus: Mga unang tao sa Scandinavia more than two thousand years ago – nakakatakot sila, giants in size, marauders, blood thirsty – but they had their own civilization nonetheless.
ANSWERS: 1.Janus, 2.Malakas at Maganda, 3.Biag ni Lam-ang, 4. Bathala, 5. Maria Makiling, 6. Kan-Laon (or Lalahon), 7. Dr Jekyll and Mr Myde, 8. Hercules, 9.Tikbalang, 10. Tupa, a ram, 11.Sun. To assure that it will return every morning;12. Mummy, 13. Tutankhamen (or King Tuts), 14.Pumpkin, relative of the squash; 15. Atlantis, 16.Mt Olympus, 17.Pied Piper, 18. William Tell, 19.Evangeline, 20. Holland, 21. Robin Hood, 22. Rip van Winkle, 23.Scheherazade, 24.Open Sesame, 25.The Little Prince.
Bonus question: Vikings (their god - Odin)
RATING: 23 to 25 Outstanding
20 to 22 Very Good
17 to 19 Good
14 to 16 Fair
13 and below - Participate in Paaralang Bayan sa Himpapawid, DZRB 738 KHz AM Band, 8 to 9 evening Monday to Friday www,pbs.gov.ph